Bottled Ship Builder

Hello, my Mum has a ship in a bottle that we aren't sure of how old it may be, or what ship it is.  Can anyone help? It was bought in the late 70s, from a shop in Robin Hoods Bay, in North Yorkshire.  Can anyone help? Originally posted over a week ago.

20240316_150507.jpg

20240316_150513.jpg

20240316_150441.jpg

20240316_150451.jpg

20240316_150458.jpg

20240316_150435.jpg

20240316_150431.jpg

Edited by Wendy Gregson
No replys

• 4 months later...

My guess is that it was made by Léon Labistour or his wife Patricia. I have a book on how to make ships in bottles by Léon and a book by Patricia called “A Rum Do” which is about the days of smuggling in Robin Hoods Bay. My first in-laws were from Nottingham and, on a trip they took back to England, they visited Robin Hoods Bay and bought me Patricia’s book while there. I can’t identify the ship in the bottle though. 

IMG_2041.jpeg

IMG_2044.jpeg

I've been in contact with Pat Labistour, Leon's wife, who is still an active member of The European Association of Ships in Bottles (EASIB). Pat says that this SIB is definately not by Leon.  Leon's SIBs had a message under the sea, a little model in the neck, and on the rear mast there a message of four small square colourful flags from Marryatt's code. This is a definite point of recognition, as Pat and Leon did this on every model. The message from the code book reads 'we wish you a pleasant voyage'.

Hope this helps

Alan

Edited by exwafoo
Further information on the SIB